Senior Software Engineer
Our mission is to make education accessible, and over the last two decades Study.com has become the leading online education platform delivering a personalized learning experience across a broad continuum of education for over 30 million students, instructors, and professionals every month.
As a member of the Study.com team, you’ll help empower millions of learners to achieve their education and career goals. We focus on increasing access to education because we know information is the ultimate equalizer and that education is key to upward mobility. Every minute a learner enrolls in a course and our College Accelerator solution. Study.com has collectively saved students $200 million in college tuition.
You’ll also be part of a company dedicated to contributing to society. Study.com has donated $23 million in-kind value across social impact programs, including matching employee contributions to non-profit organizations and millions to help schools during the pandemic.
At Study.com, we know that strong communities are built on the power of our diversity and we respect and strive to understand for the diverse identities, race, ethnicities, backgrounds, and perspectives of our team members. And our work and company culture have been consistently recognized, including:
- Inc. Best Place to Work
- Fortune Great Places to Work – Best Workplaces in the Bay Area
- Golden Bridge Awards – Gold Winner, Corporate Social Responsibility
- San Francisco Business Times & Silicon Valley Business Journal – Best Places to Work
Come join us on our mission and make a difference.
About the Senior Software Engineer Position
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will be able to immediately help us…
- Improve teacher effectiveness and increase student learning by delivering in-classroom games and presenter queues tied to our video lessons on the web.
- Craft a mobile app experience that leapfrogs the web interface, allowing students to work toward their degree on-the-go.
- Improve student grades with a easy-to-use, reliable method for capturing and responding to student questions.
- Inform student decisions by connecting them with timely information on career and school options.
- Streamline lesson content creation with a sleek new modular, microservices-based content management system optimized for our educators.
- Ease students’ path to college credit through placement tests which elegantly adapt to each students' level of mastery.
Study.com developers help our cross-functional teams rally around common goals to deliver valuable features like these frequently. Our developers work together on the front- and back-end, emphasizing collaboration, learning and fast feedback, including pair programming and regular (constructive!) code reviews. We invest in developers’ growth, which reflects and reinforces our mission to make education accessible.
At a minimum, you should have these technical qualifications for this role:
- 6+ years work experience with Java
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related field
- Fluency with object oriented design, data structures and multithreaded algorithms
You could be a great fit for the team if you…
- Enjoy improving user experiences and accessibility applying modern HTML for all form factors
- Desire to work in a collaborative cross-functional team working toward common goals
- Emphasize simplicity and pragmatism, reflected in your elegant code which other developers emulate
- Have a calling for building modular front-end code leveraging REST-based services
If you think you’d be a good fit for this role, even if you may not meet all of the requirements, we’d love for you to apply! At Study.com, we strive to create an inclusive culture that encourages people from different backgrounds to bring their unique, diverse perspectives to work. We aim every day to build an environment that empowers us all to do our best work. We can’t wait to show you what we have to offer!
Please Note: This position is located in our office in Mountain View, CA. Study.com has implemented a hybrid model that will include 3 days in-office and 2 days of remote work.
In addition, Study.com will be requiring all employees be fully vaccinated as a condition of employment. If an accommodation is required, please speak with a member of the People Team.
Life at Study.com
At Study.com, you'll join an Agile team, making a big impact in a cross-functional, collaborative environment where team members wear different hats and regularly interact with senior leadership. We get things done and move quickly.
Study.com’s team members, together with our Study Studio network of instructors, tutors, subject matter experts, video animators, and editors, have developed 1.5 million learning resources on our platform. This includes micro-lessons, videos, flashcards, lesson plans, worksheets and more, fueling 16 million hours of learning engagement a year.
We are in the heart of downtown Mountain View, just a few steps from the Caltrain station. And regardless if we are in the office or sheltered at home, we have comprehensive health and wellness benefits. We offer ongoing education and professional growth opportunities, including a life-long membership to Study.com. You can also expect:
- 100% paid health, vision, and dental insurance for employees
- 401(k) with employer match
- 20 - 30 PTO days each year (increases with tenure)
- 10 paid holidays
- Work at home setup stipend
- Company-sponsored gym memberships
- Free Caltrain Pass
- Tuition reimbursement and gift matching programs
Study.com provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran or disability status. In addition to federal law requirements, Study.com complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. Additionally, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for the position in accordance with applicable state and local laws.