We are a profitable, fast growing technology company on a mission to make education accessible. Our focus is to simplify and accelerate learning and help people unlock opportunities for a better future.
Study.com helps over 30 million students and teachers each month improve grades, gain career skills and earn college credit through our video-based micro-learning platform. We’ve built our platform from the ground up, leveraging data and technology to make the entire learning process simple and engaging.
As a fast growing, independent company, our employees have a direct impact on company direction and results. We are looking for passionate, talented individuals to join our team, so we can have an even bigger impact towards our mission.
We are located in the heart of downtown Mountain View, just a few steps from the Caltrain station. We only hire top talent, so those who pass our rigorous interview process will find themselves as part of one of the brightest and most innovative teams in Silicon Valley.
We have a culture of social responsibility. As we continue to generate profits, we give back to the community through our Working Scholars scholarship program that helps hundreds of low-income workers in the Bay Area earn a bachelor’s degree at no cost and achieve economic and career mobility. We also donate to charitable organizations that help provide open access to information and education throughout the poorest regions of the world.
Study.com was recently ranked as an Inc. Best Place to Work! Come join us on our mission and make a difference.
About the Director of FP&A Position
Study.com is looking for a Director of FP&A. The Director of FP&A will drive value across a broad spectrum of the Company with a particular focus on leading the company wide annual planning process and supporting a wide range of strategic analysis and decision making. The ideal candidate will work closely with the CFO and senior executives to plan the business and allocate budget and resources to the company’s strategic initiatives. This position requires strong financial reporting, planning and modeling skills, and good business sense. The Director of FP&A must understand the big picture of the Company’s financial model, while being very detail oriented. Impeccable character, integrity, and work ethic are critical for success. The position will report to the CFO and is located in Mountain View, CA.
- Lead the total company planning processes for all budgets and short term forecasts
- Proactively collaborate, influence, and align the company’s planning processes to achieve the overall company strategy
- Responsible for consolidations of actuals and forecasts; providing deep understanding of drivers and variance analysis
- Influencing customer acquisition strategy through analysis of the interaction between CAC and LTV by user segment, as well as analysis of how those drivers are different between channels and how they are influenced by seasonality
- Validate innovation opportunities, defining business model, creating financial model, defining operational requirements, and building strategic and operational relationships to enable launch
- Understanding how changes in customer behavior influence the trajectory of the business and helping prioritize what projects or products the business should invest in and when
- Drive process and systematic improvements across the Company
- Ability to prepare informative executive, financing, and other presentations
- Perform ad hoc analysis including, but not limited to, bookings progress, gross margin trends, headcount and hiring status, opex trends, and SaaS metrics.
- Partner cross functionally, through strong relationship building and communication skills, with all levels of management
- Support accounting team in certain close procedures
- 10+ years of FP&A experience, managing a global P&L, in high growth environments
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves and build complex models (in excel and other planning applications)
- Must demonstrate analytical aptitude, strategic thinking and a command of the details
- Exposure to key financial management processes as required in a scaling organization
- Previous experience implementing FP&A systems (e.g. Hyperion, Adaptive, etc.)
- SaaS/Subscription SW experience; good understanding of SaaS business metrics and models
- Strong understanding of U.S. GAAP and finance principles
- Self-starter capable of driving business results without significant supervision
- Extremely well organized and data driven
- Ability to deal with conflict and manage expectations
- Genuine interest in understanding the company's business and markets and a track record of adding valuable insights and support to the senior leadership team
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance/Business or related field required
- CPA and /or MBA preferred
Why work for Study.com?
- Help make education accessible to people who need it
- Enjoy a fun, casual and collaborative working environment
- Join a profitable and financially stable company
- Help guide company decisions and direction
- See results of your work in days, not years
- Have your work impact 30+ million students and teachers each month
- Work with other talented and passionate team members
- Competitive compensation
- 401(k) retirement plan with employer matching
- 20 days of flexible paid time off annually (increases to 30 days over 5 years)
- Additional 10 paid holidays annually
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans
- Fully subsidized Caltrain pass
- Tuition reimbursement and gift matching programs
- Stocked kitchen and beverages provided
- Company sponsored gym memberships
- Company sponsored happy hours and many fun company events to celebrate accomplishments
Study.com provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran or disability status. In addition to federal law requirements, Study.com complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. Additionally, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for the position in accordance with applicable state and local laws.