We are a technology company on a mission to make education accessible. Study.com helps millions of students improve their grades, gain career skills and earn college credit. We offer self-paced, online video courses that cover every subject taught in middle school through junior college as well as a growing suite of corporate learning and professional education products. We’ve built our platform from the ground up, leveraging data and technology to make the entire learning process simple and engaging for students.
We are a profitable, fast growing company looking to expand our team.
We began our journey in 2002 as a self-funded start-up and have grown every year since our inception. As a small, independent company, our employees have a direct impact on company direction and results.
We are located in the heart of downtown Mountain View, just a few steps from the Caltrain station. We only hire top talent, so those who pass our rigorous interview process will find themselves as part of one of the brightest and most innovative teams in Silicon Valley.
We have a culture of social responsibility. As we continue to generate profits, we give back by funding scholarship programs and helping charitable organizations provide open access to information and education throughout the poorest regions of the world.
Come join us on our mission and make a difference.
About the Data Analyst Position
As a technology leader, we have high-traffic websites and store massive amounts of data that we need to slice and dice every day. We are looking for a Data Analyst that will be part of a growing, world-class team supporting our account management and site optimization groups. The ideal candidate for the Data Analyst role will be a key resource for analytic best practices within Study.com and for analyzing and querying data in a fast-paced Internet business environment.
The Data Analyst must be passionate about digging into data and understanding the stories the data are telling. You will be equally passionate about helping others solve problems, gain insights, and make decisions using data.
- Ownership (with your team) of all data used for analytics, including millions of events coming through a Kafka queue each day, a several TB relational data warehouse, and integration with Google BigQuery.
- Master the structure of Study.com’s data and the metrics that drive the business
- Perform ad hoc analyses and data extraction requests
- Extract insights from data to improve the efficiency of our sites and our advertisement system
- Actively build processes and tools to make data more accessible
- Drive the monitoring, analysis, and improvement of website and campaign performance
- Work in a cross functional team to implement data-driven plans designed to maximize ROI
- Teach others how to use data effectively
- A passion for learning and a willingness to pick up whatever you need to to get the job done
- 4+ years' experience in a data analyst role, experience with web analytics is a plus
- Solid MySQL/SQL experience or other related databases
- Solid experience in Excel for data analysis and visualization
- Strong analytical skills and ability to draw conclusions based on data
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment while juggling multiple projects
- BS in Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Operations Research, or similar fields
- Good interpersonal communication and presentation skills
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented and passionate
- Reporting and Business Intelligence experience (Tableau, QlikView, Microstrategy, etc)
- Proficient at using statistical software (R, MATLAB, SAS, etc.)
- Hands-on experience with advanced statistical concepts, such as cluster analysis, singular value decomposition, stochastic gradient descent, and Bayesian methods
- Experience using an ETL tool (Pentaho, Talend, SSIS, etc.) on large datasets (terabytes in size)
- Knowledge of web analytics software and best practices
- Excellent programming knowledge in a scripting language such as Groovy, Python, Perl, or in a compiled language such as Java or C++
- Higher degrees such as Masters or PhD
Why work for Study.com?
- Help make education accessible to people who need it
- Enjoy a fun, casual and collaborative working environment
- Join a profitable and financially stable company
- Help guide company decisions and direction
- See results of your work in days, not years
- Have your work impact 30+ million web visitors each month
- Grow professionally with our training and skill development programs
- Work with other talented and passionate team members
- Competitive compensation (including salary and bonus plan)
- 401(k) retirement plan with employer matching
- 20 days of flexible paid time off annually (increases to 30 days over 5 years)
- Additional 10 paid holidays annually
- Flexible work schedules
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans (we pay 100% of premiums)
- Fully subsidized Caltrain pass
- Tuition reimbursement and gift matching programs
- Stocked kitchen and beverages provided
- Company sponsored gym memberships
- Company sponsored Friday happy hour to celebrate weekly accomplishments