We are a technology company on a mission to make education accessible. Study.com helps millions of students improve their grades and earn college credit. We offer self-paced, online video courses that cover every subject taught in high school and junior college. Our team has built these courses from the ground up, leveraging data and technology to make the entire learning process simple and engaging for students.
We are a profitable, fast growing company looking to expand our team.
We began our journey in 2002 as a self-funded start-up and have grown every year since our inception. As a small, independent company, our employees have a direct impact on company direction and results.
We are located in the heart of downtown Mountain View, just a few steps from the Caltrain station. We only hire top talent, so those who pass our rigorous interview process will find themselves as part of one of the brightest and most innovative teams in Silicon Valley.
Study.com was also top ranked in Inc. Best Place to Work!
We have a culture of social responsibility. As we continue to generate profits, we give back by funding scholarship programs and helping charitable organizations provide open access to information and education throughout the poorest regions of the world.
Come join us on our mission and make a difference.
About the Java Software Engineer Position
As a Java Software Engineer at Study.com you can…
- Find creative solutions to scaling bottlenecks in our microservice architecture as we double our student population
- Develop new mobile app features to make teachers more effective
- Leverage machine learning techniques to make lessons and study aids easier to find by students
- Deliver new online and mobile experiences for test takers
- Apply performance enhancements that let millions of learners world-wide focus on their goals, not their browser
At a minimum, you should have these technical qualifications for this role:
- 2+ years' experience in Java and J2EE technologies in a business environment
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related field
- Background in relational databases (MySQL preferred)
You could be a great fit for the team if you…
- Desire to work in a collaborative, team-based environment built around Scrum
- Are passionate developing your skills, learning from and sharing your knowledge with your team
- Love to build and ship end-to-end features that are used by millions of users
- Enjoy integrating, configuring, and tuning NoSQL data stores such as Solr and Cassandra
- Emphasize simplicity and pragmatism, reflected in your elegant code which other developers emulate
Why work for Study.com?
- Help make education accessible to people who need it
- Enjoy a fun, casual and collaborative working environment
- Join a profitable and financially stable company
- Help guide company decisions and direction
- See results of your work in days, not years
- Have your work impact 30+ million web visitors each month
- Grow professionally with our training and skill development programs
- Work with other talented and passionate team members
- Competitive compensation (including salary and bonus plan)
- 401(k) retirement plan with employer matching
- 20 days of flexible paid time off annually (increases to 30 days over 5 years)
- Additional 10 paid holidays annually
- Flexible work schedules
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans (we pay 100% of premiums)
- Fully subsidized Caltrain pass
- Tuition reimbursement and gift matching programs
- Stocked kitchen and beverages provided
- Company sponsored gym memberships
- Company sponsored Friday happy hour to celebrate weekly accomplishments
Study.com provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran or disability status. In addition to federal law requirements, Study.com complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. Additionally, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for the position in accordance with applicable state and local laws.